History of the Michigan FFA Foundation
The Michigan FFA Foundation was founded in 1984 at Michigan State University. Founded to be a fund-generating source for FFA, the foundation operated without an executive director until the late 1980's. In 1995 Michigan State University and Michigan Farm Bureau joined in cooperation to hire a part-time executive director to oversee fund raising activities. The Michigan FFA Foundation moved from Michigan State University to Michigan Farm Bureau. In 1998 the Michigan FFA Foundation hired a full time executive director to manage all foundation activities. In 2006 the FFA Foundation was moved back to MSU and now finds its home in Agriculture Hall, back to where it began. The Michigan FFA Foundation has grown from a small operating fund to over two million dollars in assets and raising nearly half a million dollars annually to fund FFA and agriculture and natural resources education.
Foundation History Timeline
- 1981: The first foundation constitution was approved by the state FFA delegate body.
- Earl Martindale of Corunna became the first individual donor and the North Branch FFA Chapter became the first FFA chapter to donate to the foundation
- 1991: DAve Krueger was hired as the first foundation director.
- 1993: John Hilt, CEO of Quality Stores, initated the toy tractor sale generating $26,000.
- 1993: Pauline Glassbrook established the Glassbrook Endowment.
- 1994: The foundation moved to Michigan Farm Bureau and Julie Chamberlain became the executive director.
- 2000:First FFA Masters golf outing was held in St. Johns.
- 2004: Former FFA Projects Consultant, Charles Snyder, designated a $500,000 estate gift to the foundation.
- 2006: The foundation returnedto MSU with Megan Hirschman as the executive director.
- Dave Krueger 1991-94
- Julie Chamberlain 1194-99
- Josh Merchant 1999-2001
- Molly Avis 2001-03
- Corey Flournoy 2003-04
- Kate Powers 2004-05
- Megan Hirschman 2005-12
- Ramey Lunceford 2012-2016
- Cassy Puskala 2017 to present